The Safety Specialist will work with the plant operations, engineering, and enterprise excellence teams to implement proactive safety solutions and follow-through. Ensuring that successful production starts with safety. Establishes and promotes the maintenance of safe, accident-free, and healthy work environment by performing the following duties. Champion the cause of safety, comply with rules and regulations, and coach to compliance. Instrumental in driving a safety first culture.
This position reports to the EHS Manager in Blue Ash, Ohio.
- Supports and promotes safe practices in alignment with company commitments, policies, and compliance requirements.Act as an OSHA regulatory compliance resource.
- Establish and drive continuous improvement in the facility’s safety monitoring and recordkeeping systems to ensure compliance with all Allegion/Steelcraft policies and federal regulatory requirements.
- Assist EHS Manager and operations supervisors to evaluate and determine appropriate proactive safety strategies for projects that may have an impact on existing facility or employees.
- Develop action plans for safety activities, coordinate plant safety team, perform follow-up on these activities, and report status to EHS Manager.
- Facilitate safety training for all plant personnel (LOTO, Confined Space, Initial Event Reporting, Hazard Recognition, others as needed).
- Compile and track all documentation for compliance with all safety policies and required safety activities.
- Work within EHS department on plant initiatives towards Lean, Kaizen, TPM, 5S and other facility improvements.Ensure compliance with all safety policies, procedures, and programs.
- Ensure all safety and health metrics and reports are completed and communicated in a timely manner.
- Serve as backup for Environmental Specialist and assist with environmental issues as assigned or required.
- Serve as training coordinator for all EHS-related trainings, computer based training and other.
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety & Health or equivalent.
- 2 or more years of experience in a safety role in an industrial setting. Comfortable working in a plant environment.
- Working knowledge of federal safety laws.
- Ability to work with respective outside agencies and contracted employees.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). Ability to use a variety of software applications to analyze, monitor data, conduct reports, and presentations.
- Ability to climb stairs, ladders, extensive walking, confined spaces, wear a respirator and handle exposures to hot/cold environments.
- Prior Safety Specific Training (OSHA 30 Hour, Confined Space, etc.) or ability to complete within first 6 months of position.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to travel up to 5%
- Will be required to work off-shifts as requested
- Training certifications for safety topics (Forklift, Confined Space, Fall Protection).
- Passion for people, preventing injuries, and working safely.
- Excellent communication, training and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated Root-Cause analysis skills (A3, 5-Whys).
- Leadership skills to direct personnel, implement initiatives, supervise teams, and performing follow-up activities.
- Analytical ability to assess complex situations and apply problem solving strategies.
Allegion employees are critical to our shared success. We are committed to helping our employees reach their professional, personal and financial goals. We offer competitive compensation that aligns with our business strategies and comprehensive benefits to help you live your healthiest. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse culture that engages as well as values the different backgrounds and experiences of our employees, which in turn spurs innovation, generates creative solutions and enhances our customer relations.
Allegion is a diverse and inclusive environment. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are dedicated to hiring qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. If for any reason you cannot apply through the career site, please click here for special accommodation.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.